According to a recent Pew Research Center Internet & American Life Project study, it was also found that consumers have doubled their usage of online classifieds since 2005. Some other interesting info from the study:
- Classifieds are most popular with those aged 25-44 years. Over half of this population (62%) have used the sites.
- Those 18-24 and 45-54 years old use less frequently, but the figures are still well over 40%.
- Fewer than 35% of users aged 55-64 years old use online classifieds.
- Men are more likely to used a classified site on any given day - 12%, compared to 7% of women.
- Those with household income levels of $50,000 or more are more likely to use online classified sites than those with incomes under $50,000 (25% vs. 15%).
- The fastest growing online population using online classified sites are 30-49 years old, and those with incomes over $50,000 per household.
- Realtors: Under the "Housing" section, list rentals and residential/commercial properties for sale.
- Automotive: Under "Services Offered > Automotive Services" promote brake repair, oil changes, tune-ups, etc.
- Lawyers: Under "Services Offered > Legal Services" place an ad that specifically promotes your area of expertise (bankruptcy, criminal, divorce, etc.)
- Gyms: Under "Community > Activities" post an ad seeking those in need of personal trainers or general fitness.
- Photographers: Under "Community > Artists" place an ad promoting your photography business.
- Massage/Spa: Under "Services Offered > Theraputic Services" announce a "Grand Opening" or promote your massage services, offer promotions, etc.
- Tanning Salon: Under "For Sale > Free" offer a week of free tanning on your basic beds or perhaps a free trial on a more advanced tanning system.
The key to using Craigslist is to post ads frequently. As with any effective advertising, a healthy balance of brand exposure and familiarity are required. Then it comes down to time - how much are you willing to spend if it means growing your business?
If you'd like to try other, popular online classifieds resources, I would suggest Kijiji.com (eBay's classifieds site) and Oodle.com, which handles classifieds for Facebook.
Web Feat Works